You have got pretty hair extensions for yourself, and you are very satisfied with them. The next thing to worry about is how to maintain it that way. You have come to the right place; after this post, you will learn the best way to store hair extensions.
I. Why do we need to know the best way to store hair extensions
Hair extension is an essential beauty item for people with short, thin, or no hair. However, not everyone pays attention to the process of caring for and storing hair extensions, which makes the hair extensions quality come down very fast. Let’s unlock the secrets of how to store your hair extensions properly to maintain their great look.
1.1. What happens if we don’t store hair extensions properly?
We can’t wear hair extensions all day, every day, every time, there are times that we have to take it off, such as when we go to sleep when we wash our original hair when we just don’t have any occasion to put it on. So, how to store hair extensions when not in use? Are we just gonna put them in a drawer? What happens if we don’t store hair extensions properly?
If we don’t store hair extensions properly, our hair extensions can’t maintain their best quality for long. Normally, hair extensions have the best quality in the first month, they will start losing their luxurious look and texture after this period. So, it is important to know the best way to store hair extensions.
Let’s take a look at what can happen if we don’t store hair extensions properly:
- Dry hair: Hair extensions that are regularly exposed to the atmosphere, especially the sun, the polluted air, germs, etc, will easily dry up and start looking poor, or less alive.
- Shorter use time: Hair extensions need to be cared for just like our natural hair, if we just let it sit outside without protection, it can easily be damaged by multiple factors.
- Hair quality affected: For a hair extensions user, it is important that the hair extensions remain their best quality as long as possible. Not storing your hair extensions will of course affect the quality of the hair, you will have to change to the new ones in a short period of time and cost lots of money. Following the best way to store hair extensions is the solution for all of this problem.
- Tangle issues: Some hair extensions will be completely unusable if there is a big tangle of hair that we can’t untangle. Simply putting your hair extensions in a drawer can cause this problem. To avoid this, it is necessary that we know the best way to store hair extensions.
1.2. The advantages that carefully-store hair extensions brings
You will be surprised to see the results when you start storing your hair extensions carefully. Many of our hair extensions lovers from all over the world have tried our best way to store hair extensions and the feedback is amazing. A lot of people complain about how hair extensions are not cheap but only can remain their best quality in a short time, or are hard to care for. However, they have turned around and felt very satisfied with the results after they start following the best way to store hair extensions.
Let’s find out the advantages of carefully-stored hair extensions:
- Longer use time: This is obviously the best advantage. We aren’t just saving lots of money, we are also saving lots of time and energy.
- Protect hair extensions when not in use: Just like I’ve presented above, the atmosphere includes many harmful factors such as UV rays, germs, chemicals, polluted air, and many more. Following the best way to store hair extensions will help you protect your hair from all of this bad stuff.
- Keep hair moisture: Moistures are essential to the healthiness of hair extensions. Learning the best way to store hair extensions will keep your hair extensions healthy and smooth all the time.
- Hair extensions look better: Yes, it can remain its best look if you know the best way to store hair extensions. The hair looks good means you look good. A good hair also helps us boosten our mood on a gloomy day.
No further ado, let’s go straight to the next part and discover the best way to store hair extensions for stunning hair extensions all day, every day.
II. Best way to store hair extensions according to hair extensions experts
We have asked hair extensions experts how to store hair extensions properly in their opinion. Taking care of hair extensions is easy but there are a few unbreakable rules that you have to remember.
2.1. What to do before starting to store hair extensions
Before putting your hair extensions aside and storing it until the next use, there are several steps that we should do:
- Wash your hair extensions with clearing shampoo: You can use either dry shampoo or regular shampoo to clean the hair extensions before storing. Remember to use only the shampoo and conditioner that contain safe ingredients for the hair. (Make sure your hair extension is completely dry for the next step).
- After washing the hair extensions, give it several brushes: Use the hair extensions loop brush to gently brush your hair extensions. Make sure your hair extension doesn’t have any tangle points.
- Give your hair extensions a gentle massage with oil or hair serum (but not too much, just a little bit, we don’t want your hair extensions to be extra moist, it is best that it maintains its balance): Feed your hair with nutritions and essential oils that can stay and nourish the hair extensions in all the time that it is stored. This will bring out a surprising result as your hair will become softer, healthier and shinier.
- Make sure the wefts of hair extensions are connected together by a clip or a bun to avoid the messiness when you store it.
2.2. How to store hair extensions
After you have finished all of the steps above, it should result in fine, soft, shiny and healthy hair extensions. The next thing to do is find a storage object for your hair extensions to maintain it that way.
2.2.1. Store your hair extensions in a box
You can use any kind of box that is big enough for you to fold the hair extensions in without damaging it. Shoebox is a good choice.
- Make sure the box is clean before putting in the hair extensions.
- Remember to put in a wrap paper or clothes first as the base, and then gently roll the hair extensions together (try not to fold it too hard, it is best that you find a box that is big enough for laying the hair extensions straight down)
- Put your hair extensions on top of the base.
2.2.2. Store your hair extensions in a storage bag
The storage bag is also widely used by people who put on hair extensions every day. The storage bag contains a hanger and can be zipped to properly store hair extensions.
- Place your hair extensions on the hanger
- Put the hanger inside the storage bag
- Hang in your drawer or closet
2.2.3. DIY hair extensions storage
Or you can take advantage of your creativity and create your own storage box.
- DIY storage box: Find a stiff cover and stick them together to form a box, make sure it is tight and steady. Then place in a towel as the base before putting the hair extensions in. Then make a lid to put on the box. Remember to hygiene your cover well.
- Besides the box, you can also simply put the hair extensions in a drawer but make sure that it has a towel base and the drawer should be used for your hair extensions only.
2.3. Best way to store hair extensions on vacation
It is highly recommended that hair extensions should not be used on long flights or road trips. Simply placing them in your suitcase isn’t a good choice either. Instead, the best way to store hair extensions on vacation is to carry along your storage box or storage bag. It is best that you use a storage box to completely secure the hair extensions as bags can still be affected by the stuff in your suitcase.
As you will wear it when you arrive, remember to bring your hair extensions loop brush to brush the hair before putting it back in the storage bag or box. Plus some hair extensions care products if you tend to stay for a long period of time.
2.4. Important tips to store your hair extensions better
Here are several extra tips to help you store your hair extensions better:
- After washing the hair extensions, leave it to dry naturally instead of using tools. This will help the hair extensions to keep it moist and shine, using a hot tool will suck all the hydration out and can damage the hair.
- Place your storage box or bag into a closet or a drawer, make sure the place has no direct sunlight, dry and clean.
- If you want your hair extensions to smell good, you can add one or two drops of your favourite natural perfume into the box (not direct to the hair extensions).
- It is best that you use the storage box or bag that contains no food, because food can still stick into the box/bag even if we have cleaned it, and cause bad bacterias.
We hope that you find this post helpful. Let us know if you have any ideas on how do you store hair extensions yourself.