Taking care of your tape in extensions properly will save you a lot of money buying the new ones when the old ones quickly start to look poor and dry. Don’t worry, it is easy to do tape in extensions care, make sure to stick by till the end of the post to gather tape in extensions care tips for long-lasting, flawless hair.
I. Tape in extensions care – why is it necessary
You have got for yourself a beautiful tape in extensions, but the next thing to figure out is how to maintain it that way. Normally, tape in extensions can only last for one to three months, how can we maintain their best quality? Let’s find out the best way to do tape in extensions care from experts for 24/7 gorgeous hair.
1.1. Why many people use tape in hair extensions
Tape in extensions connects hair extensions to your original hair by sticky tabs. People all over the world prefer tape in hair extensions as they can be easily installed and removed by yourself at home, and they are completely friendly with your hair. It is also easy caring and maintains tape in hair extensions. Tape in extensions can blend well with your natural hair to create a great look.
1.2. Why do we need to pay attention to tape in extensions care
Tape in hair extensions is just like our hair, many problems can occur while you use them such as tangle, dry, dirty, loosen, etc. To help the tape in hair extensions look good and feel good all the time, tape in extensions care is an essential part.
Normally, tape in hair extensions can only maintain its best quality in the first month, and they can last for about 3 months, but if you know how to take care of your tape in hair extensions properly, it will always look new and can last much longer.
Follow us through the post as you will uncover everything you need to know about tape extensions care to maintain seamless and luxurious tape in hair extensions.
II. Important tape in extensions care tips
Below is the list of important tips and common mistakes in the tape in extensions care process gathered from the best hair extensions experts. Make sure to note it down for further use as it is quite much information.
2.1. Important tape in extensions care tips
Doing tape in extensions care properly can help establish a beautiful look when you wear it. Here are the tips from tape in extensions care experts:
- Tape in extensions care tip #1: Wash your original hair with safe and chemical-free hair shampoo or clarifying hair shampoo before installing the tape in hair extensions to avoid any bad substances that can attach to the extensions areas.
- Tape in extensions care tip #2: Avoid tangling by brushing your tape in hair extensions (with a brush that suits with hair extensions) two or three times a day, this will keep your hair extensions always looking smooth while you engage in your day-to-day activities. Remember to hold the hair roots to prevent the impact on the sticky tabs.
- Tape in extensions care tip #3: Try not to let the tape in hair extensions wet every day, using a quality hair dry shampoo instead.
- Tape in extensions care tip #4: Avoid going to sleep with your tape in hair extensions, dry shampoo the hair extensions first and then wait for it to completely dry up (you can skip this step if your extensions have been recently washed), then give it several brushes, then braid it into a ponytail.
- Tape in extensions care tip #5: Use sulphate-free, all-natural hair care products for your tape in hair extensions. Any kind of product that contains alcohol, ethanol, or sulphate will badly affect the extensions areas, and also your original hair.
- Tape in extensions care tip #6: Avoid letting the hair conditioner, as well as oils, hair mask, or hair serums, to come near the sticky tabs as it will result in the tape in extensions loosening or falling out.
- Tape in extensions care tip #7: One of the most important keys to long-lasting tape in hair extensions is not to apply bleach, lightener, or any kind of chemicals.
- Tape in extensions care tip #8: After exercising or swimming, remember to wash your tape in hair extensions to remove chemicals and sweat.
- Tape in extensions care tip #9: Avoid letting tools with high heat, using low heat instead, always be gentle with your tape in hair extensions.
- Tape in extensions care tip #10: The best time to remove and reinstall your tape in hair extensions is six to ten weeks.
2.2. Tape in extensions care common mistakes
In the process of tape in extensions care, undesirable problems can occur and ruin our tape in hair extensions. We have done some interviews and gathered the most common mistakes that users have in tape in extensions care.
- Not washing your tape in hair extensions regularly: This is very important in tape in extensions care, they need to be washed regularly, it is best that you wash tape in hair extensions 1 time each 2 day with dry shampoo, and do a regular wash 1 or 2 times each week.
- Going to sleep with your hair extensions: We have addressed this above. Going to sleep with your hair extensions can cause damage to the hair.
- Dyeing your tape in hair extensions: Dyeing is also an enemy of tape in extensions. It contains chemicals that reduce the quality of the hair. Our natural hair receives nutritions from our body and can handle chemicals, but hair extensions have no support, that’s why it is very fragile when it comes to chemicals.
- Not storing hair extensions when not in use: When you are not using tape in hair extensions, remember to store it properly in a box, a hair extensions hanger, or a bag.
With all this tape in extension care advice from the experts, guarantee that you will achieve a long-lasting, seamless tape in hair extensions. All you need to do is put in a little effort, the results will definitely be worth it.
III. Tape in extensions care products
Tape in extensions care products are inseparable items for hair extensions users. Choosing a good hair product is very important. Unlike natural hair, hair extension isn’t supported by any nutrition, so we need to provide it with enough nutrition, moisture, and cleaning factors to keep it healthy.
1.1. Tape in extensions care brush
In tape in extensions care, using a regular brush will be tricky; to keep your hair extensions strong and durable, you should use the hair extension loop brush; it is very gentle to the hair and easy to use.
1.2. Tape in extensions care shampoo and conditioner
To choose the right shampoo, conditioner, or dry shampoo for your tape in hair extensions, it is best that they meet the following criteria:
- Alcohol-free: using hair products that contain alcohol can make your hair extensions dry.
- Sulphate-free: Just like alcohol, sulphate can take away your hair moisture.
- Paraben-free: Paraben can cause hair loss and damage as it absorbs to your hair scalp
- Formaldehyde-free: Formaldehyde can also cause hair loss and damage
- Contains natural moisturising factors: Moisture is the most important factor in tape in extensions care, so make sure to choose the products that have great moisturising factors.
Here are some of the trustworthy hair extensions care products that you should try: L’oreal Ever Pure Moisture Shampoo, Playa Everyday Shampoo (Coconut Based), Aveeno Pure Renewal Conditioner, Splurge: Bumble & Bumble Super Rich Conditioner.
1.3. Tape in extensions oil, serum, and hair mask
Tape in hair extensions is affected by many outside factors throughout the day, it will need to be taken care of when you are back at home. After washing or dry shampooing your extensions, using hair oil, serum, or hair mask will help your hair extension to “reborn” to its best state. The oil, serum, and hair mask will provide your hair with enough nutrition to keep it healthy and strong. This is an essential part of tape in extensions care. Remember to choose quality oil, serum, or hair mask products that are made from 100% natural ingredients.
Recommended products: Moroccanoil Intense Hydrating Mask, Love Hair Nourishing Treatment Mask, Jamaican Black Castor Oil Thermal Protectant, Amika Blockade Heat Defence Serum.
Hope that you find this article helpful. Please share your own tape in extensions care tips below.