There are different types of hair extensions and each type requires a different apply hair extensions method. In this post, we will break down everything you need to know on how to apply hair extensions for the most beautiful look.
I. Apply hair extensions overview
Hair extensions are an essential beauty item for many people, we can benefit a lot by wearing hair extensions. Let’s break down the reasons why we need to apply for hair extensions.
1.1. Why do we need to apply hair extensions
If you are born with healthy, strong, long hair, congratulations, you are very lucky. However, there are many people all over the world who are born with thin, short hair, some suffer dramatic hair loss, some don’t have hair, but still, congratulations, you are the ones who have a chance to do whatever you want to your hair, such as adding more volume, length, changing hairstyles, …. And the best way to do that is to apply hair extensions.
1.2. Benefits of apply hair extensions
Hair extensions are one of the industries that have the highest demand in the beauty market. Let’s dig deeper into the reasons why so many people choose to apply hair extensions
- People apply hair extensions to add hair volume: Hair extensions are widely used by Nigerians, South Africans, and Ghanaians who usually have no hair, short hair, or suffer from frequent hair loss. It is also favoured by many Europeans that have naturally born thin hair. They can benefit by choosing to apply hair extensions, especially weft hair extensions to add more volume and help the hair appear fuller, thicker, and healthier.
- Apply hair extensions can cover split ends: As your hair grows longer, split ends appear and make your hair look dry and clumsy. Or if you accidentally have a bad haircut; instead of going to the hairdresser, you can apply hair extensions as an alternative way to hide your split ends effectively.
- Apply hair extensions to create different hairstyles: If you are bored with the old hairstyle and want to try something new, but you don’t have time or finance for a quality hair salon, choosing to apply hair extensions is another great choice. They have different colours and styles for you to select such as curly, straight, etc. Hair extensions can save you a lot of money and protect your hair from bad chemicals. What better than healthy and stylish hair?
- It is easy to apply hair extensions: Contrary to some opinions, the process to apply hair extensions is very easy to follow. Some types of hair extensions can be applied at home by yourself. It only takes a few minutes for you to wear it or take it off. It is light, comfortable, and causes absolutely no damage to your original hair.
- Saving money: It is easier to apply hair extensions than to do a hair transplant, and it is also cheaper.
II. How to apply hair extensions – easy steps to apply hair extensions
There are different types of hair extensions, and each type has a different apply hair extensions method. Let’s find out the best way to apply hair extensions with each type.
2.1. Instructions to apply hair extensions – the clip-in hair extensions
Clip-in hair extensions are the type of hair extensions where hairs can be built into your natural hair using several small pressure-sensitive clips. A set of clip-in hair extensions contains multiple sections of hair of different sizes. You can easily apply hair extensions – the clip-in type, by yourself. All you need is 5 to 15 minutes to put in clip-in hair extensions and can remove them whenever you want.
- Part your hair at the top. Using a rat-tailed comb, draw a horizontal section on the scalp about 2 inches above the back of the head. Use large hair pins to secure your hair.
- Position the hair and secure the clip. Place the hair clip near the root of the hair, and then clip it down to add the weft to the natural hair
- Blend with your hair. Loosen the cut hair and mix the extension part with your natural hair. You can use a hair straightener, curling iron, or hair dryer to style your hair to make it look smoother
2.2. Instructions to apply hair extensions – The tape-in hair extensions
To apply hair extensions, the tape-in type, is to add hair to your natural hair with sticky tabs. It is safe and well attached to your original hair. Just like clip-in hair extensions, tape-in extensions are also easy to apply and remove, and will not damage your hair.
- Section off the hair on top. Put your hair horizontally with the tips of your ears. Begins from the bottom of the neck. Use the big hair clips to secure the hair.
- Gently put the first tape hair extension into your hair. Be careful not to get too close to the follicles.
- Lift the first applied extension. Apply into the hair that is gathered at the top. Some people are a little concerned about how to put in a tape hair extension at this point, but it’s okay for the hair to get attached to the extension.
- Attach the second piece of tape. Take your second tape extension and use the first extension you have clamped to press it tightly on your hair.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4. Make sure the tape hair extensions sit side by side at a distance of 1 cm between each extension. Complete the first row of tape, move to the second row (usually one inch above the first row), keep doing this till you’ve reached the top of your head.
2.3. Instructions to apply hair extensions – The tip hair extensions (Can only apply at the hair salon)
There are different types of tip hair extensions like I-tip extension or U-tip extension, but the most popular one is the I-tip hair extension. Tip hair extensions are hairs that are connected by pre-made tips made by a temperature hair connector. To apply hair extensions, the tip type, we must melt the glue on the tips and apply the tip hair extensions straight forward to stick them into the original hair.
- Secure the hair on top. Divide the hair horizontally. Grab the top layer of hair and pull it up. Use a large hair clip to keep it tight.
- Insert the pulling needle or hook into the I-tip tube. The tube is placed at the bottom of the needle, exposing the end of the hook.
- Grab the part of the hair where the first extension will adhere. The section should be small enough to easily pass through the tube.
- Hook the needle through the hair at the top of the strands, about an inch from the scalp.
- Pull the needle towards you while holding the tube with your fingers. This will make the hair slip through the tube.
- Hold the tube with your fingers. Keep it about ½ to 1 inch from your scalp.
- Push the hair extension straight forward (up) into the tube. Apply the solid or tipped end into the end of the tube. Then push the extensions to the scalp.
- Use the hair extension pliers to straighten the bottom end of the tube. The end is away from the scalp. This straightening process sets the extension, adhering it to the natural hair.
2.4. Instructions to apply hair extensions – The weft hair extension
Weft extensions or sew-in hair extensions are made of hairs that are sewn together in a braided form. They come in different styles such as straight weft hair, curly weft hair, color or ombre weft hair, etc. Weft hair extension is also widely used all over the world. It is easy to follow the apply hair extensions steps, there are 3 ways to apply weft hair extensions.
- Apply weft hair extensions with glue
- Apply weft hair extensions by sewing in
- Apply weft hair extensions by sewing into wig
2.4.1. Sew in method
Normally, the sewing weft hair extensions method requires the help of another person, so if you want to apply hair extensions this way, it is best that you go to a quality salon to ask the help of a hair extensions professional.
2.4.2. Sew into wig method
The other apply hair extensions method is to sew weft hair extensions into a wig, it is also quite difficult for you to do it yourself. Hair extensions sellers or hair professionals can sometimes help you do this, it is best that we ask them for help if you want to apply hair extensions by sewing the weft hair extensions into a wig.
2.4.3. The glue method
Applying hair extensions with the glue method is something that you can do without the help of a professional. Let’s figure out how to apply hair extensions, the weft type, by using glue. Make sure to prepare glue that is made especially for hair or extensions before you start applying. Latex extension glue is one of the great choices that you can try.
Step-by-step instructions (the glue method)
- Set up your hair at the top. At the back of the head, make a horizontal section about 2-3 inches across the neck from the back of the head. Secure your hair using large hairpins. Measure this section, then cut the weft slightly smaller than the measurement.
- Apply glue to the rough side of the band.
- On the adhesive surface of the weft, push along the part about 1/4 inch from the root. Press your finger along the weft. Hold for about 30 seconds until the adhesive dries.
- Remove the hairpins. Create another horizontal part about 1/2 inch above the first part.
- Repeat steps 2-4 until you reach the crown of your head.
- Create a horizontal section of about ½ inch on each side of the ear and cut the weft thread slightly smaller than the horizontal section. Repeat this process until you reach the side of the head behind your eyes.
- Apply hair extensions by sewing
Each type of hair extension requires different apply hair extensions methods, some can easily apply at home, but some hair extensions types need special tools and skills to apply, and need the help of a hair extension professional. Each person fits with different ways to apply hair extensions, make sure to do a lot of research before getting into it to get the best result.