You want to try new remy hair extensions colors but don’t want to spend money to buy another one with the color that you like, the idea of dyeing your hair extensions comes right in. Let’s find out how to dye remy hair extensions for a stunning result.
I. What is remy hair extensions and how to dye remy hair extensions
Hair extensions are an essential beauty item for many people, they are widely used by South Africans, Nigerians, and Europeans with thin hair. Customers prefer hair extensions that are made from 100% human hair rather than synthetic hair extensions because of their outstanding quality and look. Today, we will talk about remy hair extensions, a type of hair extension that is loved and trusted by many hair extensions lovers all over the world, and discuss how to dye remy hair extensions to try a different look.
1.1. What is remy hair extensions
Remy hair extensions are 100% human hair that is collected from multiple donors. The person has to meet the criteria of hair quality in order to become a donor. “Remy” means the cuticles of the hair keep intact and not stripped, this means better hair extensions quality.
What exactly is the difference between non-remy hair extensions and remy hair extensions?
Unlike non-remy hair extensions, which are collected from unknown donors; remy hair extensions are collected from specifically qualified donors. The donors have to have healthy and fine hair texture in order to donate hair as remy hair extensions.
The quality of remy hair extensions outstands non-remy hair extensions in many aspects, which made it the best seller in the hair extensions industry, along with virgin hair extensions (which were collected from only one donor with high-end quality). Remy hair extensions can have the same quality as virgin hair extensions but at a cheaper price, which makes it the number one choice for anyone who wants to buy hair extensions.
Once you have got a beautiful remy hair extension, you start wearing it for a few weeks, but then you want to change the color of the remy hair extensions to create a fresh look. The thing is you aren’t really sure how to dye remy hair extensions. Let’s unpuzzle your concern right now through our post.
1.2. Can you dye remy hair extensions and how to dye remy hair extensions
Remy hair extensions are made from 100% human hair, that is why dyeing them seems like a bad idea. Dyeing is not human hair’s best friend. We all know that dyeing your hair affects it to become dry and weak after a short period of time. So, can you dye remy hair extensions? Yes, of course, you can dye remy hair extensions.
Even though it will clearly lose its quality faster, having a new color is cool, but that is a price that we have to pay. However, there are ways for us to both dye our remy hair extensions while keeping their quality.
Plus, you will never know the result if you don’t try, even though it can cost a little money to buy a new remy hair extension to replace the old one, at least you feel good, that is the most important thing. Stay with us as we will guide you through how to dye remy hair extensions for the best result.
Follow us till the end as you will be equipped with everything you need to know on how to dye remy hair extensions for the best result.
II. How to dye remy hair extensions – Steps by steps instruction
2.1. What to prepare after knowing how to dye remy hair extensions
After knowing how to dye remy hair extensions, before stepping right into dyeing your hair extensions, there are things that you need to prepare. Here is a list of what to do for the best result.
2.1.1. Find a quality hair extensions colouring product:
Knowing the hair dyes is as important as knowing how to dye remy hair extensions. There are two types of hair dyes: liquid hair dyes and cream hair dyes. What type should we use for our remy hair extensions? The answer is both types of hair dyes can be used to dye remy hair extensions. They have the same ingredients and chemicals, but there are a few differences:
- Liquid hair dyes isn’t as thick as cream-based hair dyes
- Liquid hair dyes suit with long hair, while cream hair dyes suit with short hair
- Cream based hair dyes are usually used in hair shops because it is easier to apply, and create lighter colour
- Liquid hair dyes can be more gentle to your hair follicle
Depends on the length of the remy hair extensions and how you want your color to be darker or lighter to choose the right hair dyes. For example: if you have long remy hair extensions and you want to dye dark colors like brown, use liquid hair dyes; if you have long hair extensions and want to dye bright colors, use a big amount of cream hair dyes; if you have short hair extensions, use cream hair dyes, etc.
Hair dyes contain chemicals that will harm the hair such as hydrogen peroxide (acts as the developer, usually used to bleach hair), ammonia (used to open hair follicle, allows colors to come in, can cause irritating, itching, and even burn if you don’t carefully follow the dyeing steps, can also cause split ends), and PPD (used to create darker color, can cause cancer).
However, if you are not dyeing your entire original hair but only the hair extensions, then you don’t have to worry too much about these chemicals as it is not directly exposed to your scalp.
When people first learn how to dye remy hair extensions, people are usually do not paying attention to the hair dyes. But, it is still very important that you choose hair dyes products that contain natural ingredients which will reduce the harm of these chemicals to your hair extensions. Plus, remember to choose the hair dyes products that come with an after-dye nourishing oil or cream hair care.
The best option is to choose a hair dye that contains no harmful chemicals to your hair extensions. There are a few hair dyes brand that you can try:
- Madison Reed: This all-in-one hair dyes is easy to apply by yourself at home, and it contains no harmful chemicals to your hair. It is free of ammonia, paraben, resorcinol, phthalates, PPD, and gluten.
- Oxidative Dye: This is the hair dye brand that uses a new dyeing method which is “oxidative dye”. The method uses oxidising hydrogen peroxide to soften the hair and mix in the colour, this method will lower the damage of chemicals to the hair texture.
- Bigen: Bigen is widely used all over the world. It contains an oil base, which means no ammonia or peroxide. This hair dye brand is gentle to the hair, it may not result in very light colour.
- E-salon: E-salon hair dyes contain special secret ingredients that result in stunning colours and hair quality.
- John Frieda Precision Foam Dye: Foam hair dye is growing more popular these days as it contains many natural ingredients, gentle to the hair and can keep the hair moisture.
Make sure you also do your own research to find out what is the most appropriate hair dyes products for your remy hair extensions.
2.1.2. Wash your remy hair extensions before dyeing
How to dye remy hair extensions – Wash before dyeing them: It is important that you clean your remy hair extensions carefully before dyeing them.
- Wash your remy hair extensions with a clearing shampoo and conditioner
- Apply a little hair oil or serum
- Wait for it to completely dry out
- Brush to remove tangling and hairballs
2.1.3. Dyeing tools
Hair dyes can be tricky to work with, preparing these tools will help the process safe, easier and faster:
- Tin foil to place your remy hair extensions while
- Gloves to wear when dyeing your hair
- A colour brush to apply hair dyes to all part
- One time use boxes or trays, and a stick to mix the developer and the colouring
- Plastic wrap to cover the remy hair extensions after dye
- A towel which is big enough for all the remy hair extensions
After you have everything you need, let’s step right into how to dye remy hair extensions.
2.2. Instruction of how to dye remy hair extensions
To get the best hair extensions dye result, it is essential that you read carefully the instructions of how to dye remy hair extensions and follow the steps with precision.
Step 1: Mix the hair dyes developer and coloring according to the instructions of the products
Step 2: Spread the tin foil to the floor to keep it from staining your house floor
Step 3: Spread the remy hair extensions evenly on the tin foil
Step 4: Apply the color
Wear your gloves and use the color brush to apply hair dyes in all sections. Remember to completely coat both sides of your remy hair extensions, and from the top to the ends. It is best that you start from the extensions part to the end of the hair.
Step 5: Cover the remy hair extensions with plastic wraps
This will help the color to develop in the remy hair extensions without drying out. Check a part of your dyed remy hair extensions every 10 minutes to make sure it has absorbed the hair dyes by rubbing the hair with a paper towel to see the color, if it hasn’t appeared, re-apply the hair dyes. Then, allow it to sit for about 20 minutes.
Step 6: Wash the dyed remy hair extensions
After 20 minutes, wash your dyed remy hair extensions with cool water for about 15 minutes to remove all the colour. Then, again, re-shampooing your dyed remy hair extensions with clarifying shampoo.
Step 7: Leave it to dry on the towel
Step 8: After your dyed remy hair extensions dry, apply hair care products to provide moisture and nutrition for the hair.
2.3. Tips on how to dye remy hair extensions for stunning result
We have asked many hair extensions lovers all over the world how to dye remy hair extensions to come out with the best color and texture. Here are several tips that will help you accomplish a satisfying dyeing result.
III. How to care for your dyed remy hair extensions
- Make sure you have more hair dyes than usual, you may need more hair dyes than you think
- Do not apply hair dyes from the end to the root, you will mess up everything. Always start brushing from root to tip.
- When rising, hold the top of the remy hair extensions and wash down
- Never rub your dyed hair extensions with a towel. Place them in the towel to dry itself in a warm environment.
3.1. After-dye remy hair extensions care tips
Another step to keep in mind when learning how to dye remy hair extensions is after-care. After dyeing your remy hair extensions, the next thing to do is keep the dyed hair extensions healthy and strong by taking your time to care for them.
- Constantly providing moisture and nutrition by applying hair extensions oil, serum or hair mask.
- Avoid direct sunlight
- Avoid heated tools
- Don’t go to sleep with your dyed remy hair extensions
- Always wash your dyed remy hair extensions with natural based hair products (that contains no harmful chemicals)
- Avoid hair spray to form styles
3.2. Recommended dyed remy hair extensions care products
The after-dye remy hair extensions care products need to be safe for your hair and can cover up all the lost moisture and nutrition as your dyed remy hair extensions can dry out very fast.
3.2.1. DIY Mask
DIY Mask is a good choice to provide a hydrating factor to the remy hair extensions. You can try Avocado & Banana Hair Mask, Yoghourt & Honey Hair Mask, Strawberry & Mayonnaise Hair Mask, Aloe Vera Hair Mask. etc.
3.2.2. Wella SP Luxe Oil
Wella Sp Luxe Oil is the ultimate hydrate product for dyed hair extensions. With no sulfates and oil-based formula, plus hydrating natural ingredients to help your dry hair restore to its best state.
3.2.3. Evo Icon Welder Heat Protection Spray
If you want to use hot tools on your dyed remy hair extensions, remember to use protection spray first. Doing this will help prolong the lifespan of your remy hair extensions.
3.2.3. Liz Earle Botanical Shine Shampoo and Conditioner
This all-natural ingredient shampoo and conditioner are gentle to your hair extensions and can help provide enough moisture and nutrition to remain the dyed remy hair extensions quality,
We hope that you find this article helpful. Please share with us your own opinion about how to dye remy hair extensions your way.